Services provided through the Positive Parenting Program:
- Individualized Parent Support — Home-based parent education, parent skills training, case management, service advocacy and family support..
- Parent Education and Support Groups — Sessions focus on child development, parent/child communication, health and wellness, family literacy, basic household and financial stability, positive discipline and limit setting, safety factors and prevention of abuse and neglect, and access of community resources. Most groups have a target parent population, i.e. parents with young children or parents of teens. Groups have educational themes and draw from a primary curriculum such as The Nurturing Parent or The Family Game. Parent education and support groups are held in various locations in Franklin, Hampshire, and Hampden Counties and the North Quabbin area of Worcester County.
- Supervised Visitation — Available to DCF or court referred families whose children live in foster care arrangements.
- Intensive Structured Supported Family Living — Available to DCF referred families who need a broadly supportive environment for reunification of parents and children or to attain stability in family life. The United Arc owns an apartment building with six apartments available for families, and an adjacent apartment for an on-site supportive neighbor. Parent educators work with families on an individualized basis to address goals in each family's plan.
- Consultation — Training workshops and consultation are available upon request to other agencies or groups wishing to serve this population.
- Mentoring Support — Family Friends volunteers are matched with families to provide additional support and guidance to both children and parents.
- Grandparent/Kinship Caregiver Support — Networking, support groups and individualized home visits are available to grandparents and kinship caregivers with primary care giving responsibility for raising a grandchild or young relative. Grandparent/kinship caregiver support groups are offered in Franklin and Hampshire counties. .
- Affiliations — The Positive Parenting Resource Center periodically sponsors trainings and workshops as part of the larger supported parenting movement. The United Arc staff are leaders within this movement, serving on the Board and committees of The Association for Successful Parenting (TASP).